jueves, 7 de noviembre de 2013

110 finished

#110 is a 2A blanca. 650mm scale, 52mm nut width and finish is French Polish.

The back and sides are what is called silver oak (grevillea robusta) I dont like to use the common name as it creates confusion. Most think its heavy and in family with oak, which is not true. Silver oak is an Australian evergreen much closer to cypress than anything else. The only thing it has in common with oak is the figuring of the wood when perfectly quatersawn.
 In fact, when I thicknessed the back, I did so together with a top grade piece of cypress and I ended up with the same thickness, stiffness and weight and a tap tone just a hair below the taptone of the cypress. And it sounds and feels like cypress. And it looks very good in my opinion.
I will not build more 2A guitars with this wood. I will reserve it for special 1A projects.






1 comentario: